January 29, 2017 Annual General Membership Meeting Minutes
Call to order 12:30 pm
- Approval of the 2016 AGM minutes. Jim Monk moves to accept, Second Tom Lawson. Motion carries
- Brief review of 2016 Bruce Corker Included; Expo 2016,Bob Smith and Bob Nelson workshops, 2 year famer subsidy ended, annual harvest picnic, slow food Hawaii and slow food usa- (Kona coffee was named to ark of taste, co-sponsor of coffee), and coffee and art stroll
Financial- Jenine Boido- accounts good - no issues Similar to previous years. Approximately $60,000 in accounts
Coffee and art stroll- Clare Wilson (Anita not available) but she wrote report. 34 coffee farmers participated. KCFA had a booth.
Thank you to Clare for doing the newsletter
Legislative- Bruce Corker
- HB 256 coffee labeling bill - 51% for blends using Hawaiian coffee and designation of other items in blend. Hearing last Friday with house ag committee- passed out of committee 7-0 vote It now to the house consumer protection and commerce committee. We will need testimony to support bill.
Discussion - what % is American vs foreign coffee. We need farmers to go to Honolulu to testify. KCFA can pay airfare for some farmers to go. The argument from the blenders is that it says 10% Kona blend and consumers should figure it out. Yet consumer reports tested only blends to rate to Kona coffee because they didn’t realize the difference.
- HB 186 additional funding HDOA for CCB -for 2 years.
C, HDOA extension of coffee standards Allows up to use Kona name on larger amount of coffee. It would extend the current standards to 2020. March 7, 2017 is opportunity to speak on bill. More information in newsletter.
Discussion on taste. Mixed results on whether pinholes or beetle damage changes taste. Greenwell farms are against the extension and push using their optical sorter. Dept of Ag has sided with the farmers. Dept of Ag says in the 3 year extension there will be an extensive review on coffee factors- size of bean etc. for setting standards.
2017 expo- Karen Zulkowski Will be April 28, 10-3. Please volunteer.
- Presentation by Bruce Corker to Colehaur Bondera certificate of appreciation for his service. He was a founding member. On the board for 11 years total including as president, education chair, origin representative, and HDOA subsidy grant.
- By laws amendment Motion Jim Monk and second Cynthia Maryanoff. Motion passed
- Designation of numbers of 2017 directors. Motion to keep members at 13 Motion Karen Zulkowski and second John Redden Motion passed.
- Election of board
Incumbent board members- Kay Dixon, Sandra Scarr, Suzanne Shriner, Tari Sparks, Karen Zulkowski
Nominees- Chris Coleman, Allan Frank, Chet Gardiner, Mike McMullen, Jim Monk, Cecelia Smith. Nomination of Greg Knowles from floor.
Colehour and Mark Schultise second acclamation of nominations. Motion passed.
- Special thank you to outgoing president, Bruce Corker, for his service to the organization.
- Help needed
Burlap bags and grain pro bags need administration and delivery. Need a place to store.
Education committee- organizing seminars and education
Public relations director
Election of 2017 Officers
President Suzanne Shriner
Vice President Sandra Scarr
Secretary Karen Zulkowski
Treasurer Jim Monk
Third Monday 3 pm are meetings