KCFA BOARD MEETING MINUTES
August 17, 2010
4:00 PM Call to Order
Present: C. Bondera, T. Butler, ML.Moss, B. Corker, J. Rowe, K. Wood, J. Stith, D. Sims, M. Lake and M. Joven.
Coffee was brought Mahina Mele Farm. Mahalo, Jason. Michelle has volunteered to bring the coffee to the September meeting. Much obliged!
Manuel Roberto, Financial Advisor for Global Wealth Management was introduced. Manuel is investigating the possibilities of financial assistance for farmers in Kona. Global is a division of Merrill Lynch, Bank of America.
July minutes were reviewed. A motion to approve was made by ML Moss and seconded by J. Rowe. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s report was presented orally by D. Sims. Motion to approve was made by M. Lake and seconded by J. Rowe. Motion carried.
2010 Budget presented by Pres. Corker:
The motion to approve the Budget was made by J. Rowe and seconded by C. Bondera. There was some discussion about the accounting of expenses and how it would be reflected in the monthly financial report and about R. Anders concerns regarding monies budgeted for marketing. It was voted to accept the marketing and Grants proposals as submitted, recognizing that Grants could be directed towards marketing and if no grants are submitted in a budget year that money can be used directly for marketing. It was also noted by Pres. Corker that large producer organizations have budgets many times the size of KCFA’s in order to adequately protect their products. We have a way to go!
Salon del Gusto’s International Prize to Kona Coffee:
We have been informed that Kona Coffee, through the efforts of KCFA is in line for an international prize in recognition for efforts made to distinguish Kona coffee as a product of origin and in need of name protection.
A) Update on Slow Food Terra Madre fair Network Meeting in Turin, Italy (WWW.TERRAMADRE.INFO/) Colehour and Melanie Bondera will be representing Kona coffee at this fair. In lieu of their efforts on behalf of KCFA a motion was made by J. Rowe that KCFA will reimburse the Bonderas for expenses incurred for travel and for presentation of Kona coffee up to $1500. Motion seconded by ML Moss and carried.
B) Coffee Talk: September 1st - Moisture Meters by C. Moss
October 6th - all phases of coffee picking with a panel of experts to field questions.
A.) Newsletter: Updated Classified and Farmer Resources.
We still need current information for our newsletter. If you have any import please contact Christine at [email protected])
B.) We received a letter from a state Senator who is on the State Agricultural Board asking to be taken off our mailing list. This is counterproductive and we will follow up on this.
C.) A list of questions concerning agricultural issues for the various political candidates was written up by Pres. Corker and mailed to them to be answered at the scheduled forums.
D.) New seals were presented. They are more colorful and gives us a choice.
3. Events: Donations are coming in for the annual banquet auction. More donors are being sought.
Promotional Items: More bumper stickers will be ordered as well as burlap and Grain Pro bags. J. Rowe will look into drying tarps. A suggestion was made that people like promotional pins and this may be an efficient promotional item.
A) Questionnaires have been sent to 31 candidates and there have been 8 responses so far. Responses will be posted on our web site.
The Governors debate will be held on August 26 and the County Council debate will be on August 31.
B) State Rep. Denny Coffman met with C. Bondera, C. Moss and B. Corker on Aug. 2. They were not able to get a firm commitment from him regarding a change in the blending law.
C) Nonpayment of processor(s) - Again, the Dept. of Agric. will not step in and protect farmers. Councilperson Ford did step in to try to get the Dept. to uphold the law.
5. Member/Estate: 5 new members and 5 expired memberships were renewed. Our total membership of 261 installs us as the leading coffee producer organization in Kona.
1. Restaurant/Resort Recognition: The KCFA Restaurant Honor Roll is about to roll. The first 2 honorees will be Keei Café and Mi’s Italian Restaurant.
Congratulations to these fine restaurants that serve 100 percent Kona coffee. Please support them.
2. Sees Candy - some headway is reported. They are at least listening. Kona coffee candy should contain Kona coffee.
3. Jack In The Box. No response from Jack. A motion was made by C. Bondera to picket the soon to be opened Kona branch. Motion seconded by J. Rowe . After discussion the motion was amended to picket after contact was made with the local branch management to see if there will be any concession made to the pretense of serving Kona coffee without a fair description.
1. A motion was made by D. Sims that KCFA apply to membership with Slow Food USA. Seconded by J. Rowe. Motion carried.
2. A motion was made by K. Wood that J. Rowe investigate the purchase of a portable PA system and purchase the same for up to $500. Seconded by M. Lake. Motion carried.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:50 PM
Minutes submitted by Sect. T. Butler