KCFA BOARD MEETING MINUTES
February 17, 2010, YANO HALL 4 PM call to Order
Present: C. Bondera, M. Lake, J. Rowe, T. Butler, Jason Stith., R. Anders, B. Corker, ML.Moss, K. Wood, D. Sims.
January Minutes and Treasurer Report approved by Board.
1. Committee Chairs for 2010 were named:
Membership- J. Rowe and Michelle Joven, International Liaison -Harold Hoogasian, Education- C. Bondera and Jason Stith ,Chamber of Commerce -N. Griffith and Marsha Eckhert , Grants - R. Anders, M. Lake and Sandra Scarr (proposals), Estate -J. Rowe, Library and Historian -Bryce Decker, Events - ML Moss and K. Wood, Social L. Corker and K. Wood, Web site & Public Relations -C. Smith, Newsletter -C.Sheppard, Ad Hoc- R. Anders and Paul Uster, Auth. of Coffee - Chuck Moss.
2. Board Meetings for 2010 are continued to be scheduled for the 3rd Wednesday of the month at Yano Hall until further notice.
3. C. Bondera will travel to Washington DC for the American Origins Products on Feb.26 as KCFA representative. The board approved $1000.00 expenditure for this trip. Beth Barham, of AOP, will pay for 1/2.
1.Ad Hoc- Branding (R.A., J.R., C. S., B. C., and J. S.) Recommendations of Comm.:
a. Seal Use for 100% Kona Coffee sold to KCFA members only. The records of these members must be made available upon request.
b. There will be NO Farm Direct listings for Associate Members.
c. The sale of pre printed labels will be one time $125 set up fee for members only.
d. The seal on individual web sites will be linked to KCFA.
e. The seal will be considered a registered trademark of KCFA.
f. Annual Costs: Business Members $35 and they must sell 100% Kona Coffee and not blends.
Voting Members $25
Assoc. Members $20
g. The Committee recommended that a list of restaurants that sell 100 % Kona Coffee be distributed.
All of these were voted upon and passed by the Board.
a. March 3 Coffee Talk - Mark Miller will speak on branding your beans (Yano Hall)
b. Mar. 13 Brewing and soil at Bob Nelson’s
c. Mar.21 Pot luck for Shepherds
d. Feb.24 Soil Scientist J. Deekin at Daifukuji Mission from 9-12 and 1-3 at B. Nelson’s farm.
3. Membership 206 members 166 voting 8 business and 30 associates. 4 new Estate H. Hoogasian, R. Molino, R. Phillips and Craig Smith
4. Education Coffee Talks- a new responsibility. 1st Wed. of each month.
5. Web site Coffee Talk ad to be shown. Last month we had 14,434 page hits.
6. PR Sent out press releases as asked-Truth in Labeling, CTAHR and Economic Analysis. Ran a small ad in Political Announcement Column of WHT on Feb.14 re product origin. Cost was $18 for one time and we are scheduled to run it again on Feb.28.
a) 2 petitions: Expo Extension Agent and 10% blend (90 signatures)
b) Feldman Study in WHT (FRONT PAGE)
c) no hearing on 51% blend or ID of Country’s of Origin other then Kona
1. K. Wood-Labels for collage
2. B.Corker- Univ. of Hawaii’s Prof. Soojin Jun has developed a method to test origin of coffee. Motion to KCFA to fund up to $2000 for this was passed by board.
3. ML Moss- KCFA to drop membership to Destination Kona Coast. Agreed to by board.
4. CTAHR Dean’s Position Candidates- Candidates available for next 3 to 4 Fridays at Kona Ext. Office. Melanie Bondera will represent us but all KCFA members are welcomed so we may rank and recommend candidates.
Submitted by T. Butler (STY)