Code of Ethics/Standards of Conduct
For the Board of Directors
Kona Coffee Farmers Association (KCFA)
Our mission is to promote and protect Kona coffee farmers economic interests in 100% Kona coffee, to protect the Kona coffee heritage, and to seek greater legal protection of the Kona coffee name.
KCFA Board Members have certain rights and obligations that ensure that KCFA’s affairs are conducted in a manner consistent with KCFA’s mission and the purposes for which it was formed. Board Members have the right and obligation to bring constituent concerns before the board, to engage in deliberations of the board during the conduct of its business, and to cast votes on resolutions coming before the board. Board Members have a number of other obligations, including but not limited to, exercising their judgment and expertise solely for the benefit of KCFA during the conduct of KCFA’s business, avoiding actual or apparent conflicts of interest, bringing all issues relevant to the business of KCFA to the board’s attention, working collegially with fellow board members, and adhering to KCFA’s Code of Ethics. The KCFA Code of Ethics consists of standards for conduct and moral judgment that are expected of KCFA Board members. A breach of the Code of Ethics can result in disciplinary action by the Board President up to and including dismissal from the Board. Because we live in a changing world, the Code of Ethics is reviewed to make sure it continues to cover as many relevant eventualities as possible.
The Code of Ethics/Standards of Conduct
As a member of the Board, I will:
- Abide by and publicly and privately support KCFA’s mission, resolutions, decisions, and policies as adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Apply my professional skills and knowledge to benefit KCFA and its members.
- Keep well informed of developments that are relevant to KCFA and its members.
- Participate fully and professionally in Board and Committee meetings and publicly and privately support decisions made and policies adopted by the Board of Directors or its committees, notwithstanding any personal opinions to the contrary.
- Fully voice my opinions at Board and committee meetings. I will do so in a constructive manner that is supportive of a healthy group process. I will welcome, and support the full, fair, and respectful discussion of all divergent opinions.
- In my conversations with others, support and fully and faithfully communicate policies and decisions of the KCFA Board of directors and its committees.
- Refrain from directly or indirectly participating in any discussion or vote on any question in which I, my family, or the organization which employs me has a financial interest. I will promptly disclose any conflict of interest to the President of the KCFA.
- Exercise all power and authority vested in me as a KCFA Board Member exclusively in the interest of the KCFA as that interest is determined from time to time by its Board of Directors.
- Subordinate my personal interests to those of the KCFA when engaged in KCFA business
- Secure prior approval from the President before using the KCFA’s name, mark, or the name of any KCFA program or publication for any purpose other than official KCFA business.
- Faithfully perform in a professional and timely fashion all duties assigned to me by the President, Committee Chairman, or Board of Directors of KCFA. I will inform the President or Committee Chair if I will not be able to fulfill in a timely fashion any commitment I have undertaken.
- Foster and maintain in fact and in appearance the trust of my fellow Board Members, Committee Members, and members of KCFA.
- Hold myself above politics, prejudice and considerations of material advancement in fulfilling my fiduciary obligations as a KCFA Board Member
- Place KCFA’s interests ahead of my own personal advantage/ gain or that of my respective organization while engaged in official KCFA business.
- Refer all media inquiries or inquiries requiring official statements properly made by an official spokesperson to the spokesperson designated by the Board of Directors or to the President. I will not speak on behalf of KCFA without a specific delegation of authority to do so from the Board of Directors.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all proceedings of the Board of Directors and its committees and will not publicly or privately discuss internal Board conflicts or difficulties with anyone other than fellow board members. I will assure that my discussions with fellow Board Members at or outside of board meetings are focused on resolving conflicts or difficulties rather than inflaming them.